- This event has passed.
CYO Basketball – Tryouts (Boys)
June 5, 2019 - June 6, 2019
6th Grade 6:15 – 7:00 pm
7th Grade 8:15 – 9:00 pm
CYO of Nassau and Suffolk County is a competitive travel league for children in grades 4th – 8th. The Teams practice one weeknight per week and play games on the weekends. Girls’ practices begin in September while boys begin practicing in October. Girls’ games being in October and run through January. Boys’ games begin in November and run through March.
- Open, well-advertised tryouts will be held for each grade. The dates will be determined by the Parish.
- Each player must present and participate in tryouts to be placed on a team.
- All tryout participants will be evaluated by independent evaluators, not grade level coaches.
- Participants will be evaluated as fairly as possible and ranked according to skill level.
- The tryout process is subject to change and may be amended or cancelled without prior notice.
- Participants will not be placed on a team solely based on school location, friends, coach preference, or previous year participation.
- The CYO participation fee is $195 must be paid prior to tryouts and is non-refundable. If your child is not placed on a team due to inadequate number of players for a roster, your payment will be refunded.
Team Selection and Notification:
- Following tryouts, the Sports Coordinators and tryout evaluators will establish the team rosters based upon the skill level.
- Size of roster and number of teams is at the discretion of the Sports Coordinators and so, not every child who attends tryouts is guaranteed a spot on a team.
- A “waiver” participant will be allowed on a team only if all “nonwaiver” participants have been selected to a team. If there are cuts, a “waiver” participant cannot be selected to a team. This is mandated by CYO
- After each team has been selected, an eligible coach will be appointed.
- The Team coach will notify all players of selections to team.
- The Sports Coordinators will notify all participants who did not earn a spot on a team.
- No team will be rostered with less than 9 players or more than 13 players. Roster size is determined by the Sports Coordinators.
Coach Eligibility and Selection:
- Coaches are appointed solely at the discretion of the Parish
- Coaches must have completed (or will complete before starts of season) Diocese of Rockville Centre VIRTUS training and CYO Sanctioning.
- Coaches may be removed at any time at the discretion of the Parish.
- Coaches must be reappointed each season by the Parish. No coach is guaranteed a returning position for subsequent seasons.